Tuesday, February 15, 2011

jadeveon clowney : Now comes tough part for Clowney


Jadeveon Clowney, Jadeveon Clowney.

Twice. Dos veces for those of you who are bilingual - or not.

It was just on two occasions that I had the name "Jadeveon Clowney" slip through my lips after making the proclamation almost two weeks ago that I would try and refrain from stating his name in the same manner of the college football head coaches who had recruited him so hard as he decided to wait until his birthday - also known as Valentine's Day - to announce his choice of colleges.

Not that I didn't talk about him enough. When the No. 1 recruit in the country is deciding between the two major schools in the state, he waits an extra 12 days longer than practically everyone else to announce his decision and your job is writing about sports, you're going to be asked questions.

And I did a good job of referring to Clowney as "the player whose name I can't mention." The two times when I did say his name weren't moments of weakness where I just had to feel the silkiness of those syllables sliding gently across my lips.

To put it simply, the respective deeds happened when I let my guard down. It happened when I was talking to my mother and then to my wife.

My mother was just trying to engage in a little sports small talk, asking me about Clowney and then not being able to remember his name. Being the good son I am, I quickly supplied her with the name. Dadgummit! Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.

With my wife, I had been outside talking to my next-door neighbor, came in the house and she started asking me what I had been doing. Upon telling her what I had been doing, she asked me what we were talking about. Tired of being grilled, I inadvertently let the name come out. Dadgummit! Forgive me Father, for I have sinned - again.

By the way, honey! Valentine's Day was great!

Of course, on Monday Clowney announced his decision to attend the University of South Carolina after Clemson made a late run at attaining his services. Now comes the hard part for the defensive end from South Pointe High School in Rock Hill - living up to all of the hype created both by the media and by Clowney himself.

When you're crowned the No. 1 recruit in the country, as was the case with the 6-foot-6-inch, 250-pound Clowney, the expectations are going to be off the chart. Those aren't expectations Clowney placed on himself, someone else did that to him, thus people will show some leniency if he struggles in the early going.

However, with his decision to hold out almost two more weeks before announcing, Clowney placed himself on a pedestal. He was able to hold sway over thousands of people with that move, but he better hope he can continue to do that with his play. His decision to wait likely took away good will for some people. They will truly expect Clowney to produce immediately, no questions asked.

Now, from what's been seen of Clowney, it looks as though he can make that step from high school to Southeastern Conference football without a problem. However, sometimes the talent gets lost in the translation from prep football to college football, just as it does from college to the NFL.

All of that being said, Carolina fans have every reason to be excited about having Clowney in the fold. His decision to attend USC puts even more of a spotlight on the program and shows it can compete for the top recruits in the country.

If Clowney lives up to the hype and the program comes along for the ride, Gamecock Nation's dreams will have been met.

Now comes the fun part.